Scikotics Newbie

Default Traction Control Light

I'm looking at buying a 2004 xB. The traction control off light is on and unresponsive to the switch. The owner has 17" alloy wheels with low profile tires. Could this be the cause. I tried the switch but light stays on.
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Scikotics Forum Whore Chapter: DFW TexXBox's Avatar

Default Re: Traction Control Light

Quote Originally Posted by dlbotto View Post
    I'm looking at buying a 2004 xB. The traction control off light is on and unresponsive to the switch. The owner has 17" alloy wheels with low profile tires. Could this be the cause. I tried the switch but light stays on.
    Thanks.
    Probably not. The traction control uses the wheel speed sensors for input, but the size should make no difference as long as the sensor detects that the wheel is turning. If tire/wheel size caused the system to quit practically every Scion on here would have the light on.

A common-ish problem on the Xb's is a bad camshaft advance unit. When it fails it turns on the check engine light the VSC and Trac warning lights. If any of these other lights are on I would definately have it checked out. Most of the major auto parts chains will pull trouble codes with a generic scan tool for free if you ask them. (They are trying to sell parts after all.)

Or it could be something as simple as a bad wheel speed sensor, a bad switch, or maybe even a low tire that is rotating at a slightly different speed and confusing the computer.

Good luck
    The secret of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.