View Poll Results: Will boost kill your auto tranny under 250hp?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope

0 0%
  • Heck yeah!

0 0%
  • Not if under 230hp boosted!

1 100.00%

Exclamation Officially calling out all turbo boosted AUTOMATICS owners prev/recent

Heres callin out all tc owners that have boosted their automatics at one point or

another or still have it boosted and for how long... please no posts of swaps, trade-ins for a manual... that's not what this post is about

soooooo....

I have searched and researched.. but i can't really find out why people have screwed their auto trans or better yet clutch packs... was it because you guys wanted more with bad results? or was it an over the time thing??

personally, i wanna go boosted on my auto 06' but after almost 2 months of research, all i really find is boosted auto tc's work fine around 220hp (which is what i'm aiming for) but after that... bye bye tranny sooner or later... or AM I WRONG???

p.s. like we all do... i really wanna stick with my car for at least 7-9 more years

things that I know... before ipt and level 10 (to upgrade valve body, tq convertor for stall+)

off the top of my head... feel free to add on...

1. autos should never go over 240-250 hp boosted...
    2. autos need, must have... a transmission cooler!
    3. Your clutch packs can get screwed up
    4. your car will slip in 1st and 2nd... not good
    5. intercooler piping should not be as big as manual intercooler piping (checked with ptuning, descendant,turbonetics)

any input would be great!!! please help move this topic... People really need to know how much they can boost their auto tc without damaging the tranny over time. I know there are many posts about this same topic, but i wanna know how/why boosted autos called it quits...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Officially calling out all turbo boosted AUTOMATICS owners prev/recent

Fantastic G where are you??

Regional Motherfucker OG Scikotics
    Chapter: St. Louis

Pm thansenite he's one of resident turbo guru's

Sent from the depths of Chewy's mind

Being a Sciko is about having fun. Screw the rest of it.

Default Re: Officially calling out all turbo boosted AUTOMATICS owners prev/recent

thanx pm'd him... anyone else?

Sci 'til I Die! OG Scikotics
    Chapter: Des Moines

Got your PM saintxero. I'm no "expert," but I have done a lot of research in the world of F/I. Most of my transmission knowledge is with manuals, but I have come across some stuff about autos in my studies.

First of all, there is no "magic number" when it comes to how much horsepower a transmission can hold, regardless of whether it is an auto or manual. It is more of an increase of risk. It is totally possible to blow a transmission running stock horsepower or have a transmission hold up fine at 300+. However, as the horsepower increases, so does the risk of having transmission issues.

In my opinion, I would keep an auto transmission to around 200-220 horsepower. I would also recommend the transmission cooler as that will help increase the longevity of the trans. Anything that you can do to reduce the stress on the transmission is obviously in your best interest. If you are hoping to have your transmission remain in good shape for 7 to 9 years, I would keep to the lower end around 200 horsepower to the wheels to be safe.

As for the other points you mentioned, an auto transmission doesn't have a "clutch pack", only a torque converter. Again, I'm not an expert, but slipping in any gear is not going to be good on the transmission. I honestly can't remember, but I wouldn't think the trans should slip at all. Finally, the intercooler piping doesn't really matter. As long as it can move the amount of air that the turbo produces it is fine. Personally, I ran slightly larger diameter hot side and smaller cold side to increase torque a little bit from the increased velocity of the air charge. There isn't really a reason to run smaller piping just because of the transmission, though, unless it is a fitment issue.

Hopefully that helps you along your way and if you have other questions, feel free to ask. Also, I highly recommend reading the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell as it is great for learning the essentials of forced induction. Good luck.
    Current Rides:
    '04 Subaru Forester XT | '86 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Former Ride:
    '05 tC Release Series 1.0 turbo

thanx so much man for the insight!!! would be cool to have a little boost, nothing big... just alittle more vroom hope to hear from past auto turbo users...

Sci 'til I Die! OG Scikotics
    Chapter: Des Moines

Have you checked on ScionLife? There are several turbo autos over there and tons of info if you search for it.
    Current Rides:
    '04 Subaru Forester XT | '86 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Former Ride:
    '05 tC Release Series 1.0 turbo

Thanx but yeah, I've checked on Sl, Clubsciontc, your scion... and I get alot of info! and i mean alot!! but i really wanna know how did it go for previous/acutal auto turbo owners. It would be nice to hear from some members that had a Boosted an auto but had/having bad results.. But i wanna know why... like example> They started at 200hp then boosted it to 250hp and screwed it up or was it the driving habit of putting the throttle to the carpet... or was it trying to shift the auto from L 3 2 D "manually"...

It would be nice to make aware anyone who wants to boost an auto, that before they do, should see some testimonials first of previous and actual boosted auto tc's.

anyone???

hearing crickets here... waiting for updates

Sciko Obsessed Chapter: Tampa xbgod's Avatar

I have turboed both an auto XB and Tc, both which ended up as manual swaps in the end. There is a reason you don't see kit's readily available for autos. "it's like putting perfume on a pig" It doesn't belong. Remember your trying to do something to a car in which it was never intended to do. Paul at Dezod will even tell you your playing with fire. We've had discussions about this for hours and the bottom line is, the shift points suck, timing becomes an issue and the car will even act hesitant in low gears. As far as getting 7-9 years on a turbo auto....on a car that was never meant for it......not gonna happen. Turbo drag cars can be an auto but thats because they use a power-glide or a Dedenbear tranny. I even used Pauls kit from Dezod on the auto TC, great kit but for a manual. You may be able to get a little bit better results but with a full stand alone and not some cheap piece of shit like a AEM FIC...Also which Paul will agree with. The real bottom line is this, You can turbo an auto and sure it will be fun for a bit, kinda like riding a moped. But then your gonna get bored like most guys with testostern do and than your gonna turn up the boost and think hey it's still holding up and than BOOM. Game over. The answer is right in front of you and I belive you know this. Your just looking for a way to justify to yourself that eveything will work out by asking everyone for their 2 cents. But hey breaking shit is a great learing curve.
    フィックシウス
    “To Put Into Flight”

yup and a costly learning curve at that... it would be nice to see what went wrong with everyone elses: i know it's not the same as a manual but let's say someone cant use paddle shifters and only has their right leg, does that mean no more turbo? what if someome were happy with 200-230 hp boosted, that in which will respectfully stay within that range because they know if they dont, its gonna break the tranny, would it, could it all work out??? what if it wasnt meant for racing or beating civics, but actually just to have a 200hp+ car? and lets say this automatic got a great but i mean GREAT deal on a used almost new turbo kit? i mean like less than 900 for every freaking thing... even tuning. sure it may be like a riding a moped, but will the damn moped die within that year range? p.s. thanx for the input

I Love Scikotics Chapter: Houston LCAPerformance's Avatar

Just buy a Turbo automatic Genesis.
    Lake Conroe Automotive & Performance
    936/756/0771 or 505/450/6009
    H-Town Sciko Sponsor
    Full Performance and Maintenance Facility

I just told you what the problems were! Shift Points!, timing issues!, Hesitant low gear! You've already made your decision put the thing on and roll the dice. I hope this isn't your only car...........you may want to get that moped ready.

I've been where your going, twice! Enjoy the headaches.
    フィックシウス
    “To Put Into Flight”

Quote Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
    I just told you what the problems were! Shift Points!, timing issues!, Hesitant low gear! You've already made your decision put the thing on and roll the dice. I hope this isn't your only car...........you may want to get that moped ready.

I've been where your going, twice! Enjoy the headaches.
    Thanx Man, I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, just doing my homework! but even at 200-230 hp... is that still a problem??? what if i do a valve body upgrade???? please post on the polls!!

I can see this is going nowhere. By the time you make that auto transmission worth a crap, you may as well of did the swap. For the last time, you have no control over the shift points! your stock ECU is in control! quite trying to justify it to yourself. you've already made up your mind! Just do it and get it over with so you can do the swap and then come back and repost and say yes, the auto sucks. This poll is useless there are not enough people here that have attempted the swaps or for this matter a turbo auto. Most people know Auto+turbo on this car = nightmare.

Good luck, I'm out.
    フィックシウス
    “To Put Into Flight”

It's not "going nowhere" (double neg) i plan to do an engine swap; but it's my daily driver (at least till the frs comes out) and a manual where i live is a B&*#)... just take my word on it! i know if u want more ponies, you need it manual.. but i'm gettin a turbonetics kit complete... gauges, fic, turbo timer, tuning for like 900... auto does suck but i don't have much of a choice...

anyone else?