Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Sciko Thread Jacker Chapter: DFW Barfalamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,323

    Default TWM short shifter

    So i just got an exciting email from TWM today.......

    They finally made a short shifter for the xD!! So for all you xD owners that drive a standard and want a short shifter like me, they should be available soon. With the short shifter from TWM, you're looking at 35% reduce throw, roughly 2 inch shorter shift knob height, and not to mention, you can get bushing from them and add on the TRD short throw for an additional 30% reduced throw. Talk about super sporty and super fun.

    Here's a link, to check them out http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm
    Last edited by Barfalamu; 03-14-2012 at 07:29 PM.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Sciko Thread Jacker OG Scikotics
    Chapter: Des Moines

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,357

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    yeah they have it on their website as well! ive been bitching about the height of the shifter since 2008 so im glad somebody finally made one shorter. unfortunately i have to wait till after my vacation before i can get it but oh well atleast i know i will still be getting it!!!
    OG Scikotics

  4. #3
    Scikotics Forum Whore ThisorThatxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by Barfalamu View Post
    So i just got an exciting email from TWM today.......

    They finally made a short shifter for the xD!! So for all you xD owners that drive a standard and want a short shifter like me, they should be available soon. With the short shifter from TWM, you're looking at 35% reduce throw, roughly 2 inch shorter shift knob height, and not to mention, you can get bushing from them and add on the TRD short throw for an additional 30% reduced throw. Talk about super sporty and super fun.

    Here's a link, to check them out http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm
    big news indeed, since our aftermarket is slim at best lol. my only reservation is the 2 in. shorter shift knob height. while on paper thats great, the xd makes you sit up, and i wonder if the shifter will be too short for it to be comfortable. reaching down to shift all the time could be awkward. ill have to see the difference for myself, but still good news and cant wait to see someone pick this up and give a review.

  5. #4
    Sciko Thread Jacker Chapter: DFW Barfalamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD View Post
    big news indeed, since our aftermarket is slim at best lol. my only reservation is the 2 in. shorter shift knob height. while on paper thats great, the xd makes you sit up, and i wonder if the shifter will be too short for it to be comfortable. reaching down to shift all the time could be awkward. ill have to see the difference for myself, but still good news and cant wait to see someone pick this up and give a review.
    If it is too short, they offer a shift extender to raise the hight back up. Although, with the shortened throw and the reduced height, it should be an easy adjust. With the stock shifter i feel like i have to make a big stretch just to get to 5th sometimes on the highway, and the drop from 1st to 2nd feels like a long ways.

  6. #5
    Scikotics Forum Whore ThisorThatxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by Barfalamu View Post
    If it is too short, they offer a shift extender to raise the hight back up. Although, with the shortened throw and the reduced height, it should be an easy adjust. With the stock shifter i feel like i have to make a big stretch just to get to 5th sometimes on the highway, and the drop from 1st to 2nd feels like a long ways.
    i already have all the nst bushings and the in-cabin ssk so the only real change this would make is the height. my issue is 3rd to 4th lol. it probably doesnt help me that i have to be all the way back in the seat to be comfortable. i have to lean a little to go into 5th. with a shorter shifter it could be a longer reach. a taller knob would help, but yea whats the point of re-extending it, lol? so ill wanna see pics and a review before id commit.

  7. #6
    Sciko Thread Jacker Chapter: DFW Barfalamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD View Post
    i already have all the nst bushings and the in-cabin ssk so the only real change this would make is the height. my issue is 3rd to 4th lol. it probably doesnt help me that i have to be all the way back in the seat to be comfortable. i have to lean a little to go into 5th. with a shorter shifter it could be a longer reach. a taller knob would help, but yea whats the point of re-extending it, lol? so ill wanna see pics and a review before id commit.
    once i do my taxes i'll know how much extra i have, and if i have enough, i will get this. when i do i'll put up before and after pics of height and gear positions. you could always have a light fabrication, and do a curved extender, one that archs back towards you like they have in some of the classic cars. that way i would bring it back to a comfortable height while making it a shorter reach for you when you shift. not like this picture exactly,but kind of the same basic idea.

    huu-3910122_w.jpg

  8. #7
    Sciko Thread Jacker OG Scikotics
    Chapter: Des Moines

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,357

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    man i guess im just lucky or i have monkey arms cause i dont have any of the issues yall are talking about. no leaning to get into any gears or anything. ive shifted from farther down on the shifter to see if it would be comfortable before and i preferred it alot shorter but thats just me
    OG Scikotics

  9. #8
    Sciko Thread Jacker Chapter: DFW Barfalamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    well i'm 6'1" and have long arms, i can reach all the gears without having to lean, but for comfort i would prefer a shorter shift height and a reduced throw to make it easier and give the car a sportier feel

  10. #9
    Scikotics Forum Whore ThisorThatxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by Barfalamu View Post
    once i do my taxes i'll know how much extra i have, and if i have enough, i will get this. when i do i'll put up before and after pics of height and gear positions. you could always have a light fabrication, and do a curved extender, one that archs back towards you like they have in some of the classic cars. that way i would bring it back to a comfortable height while making it a shorter reach for you when you shift. not like this picture exactly,but kind of the same basic idea.

    huu-3910122_w.jpg
    now i do like that idea. looking at the shifter again, i think it may do exactly that. it has a slight curve. time will tell i suppose. looking forward to seeing this installed.

  11. #10
    Scikotics Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    I want to see some install pics of the height. I dont have to lean but I dont know if I would want it shorter but I really miss driving stick with a STS. 5th is quite far in the xD and not as easy to shift to 5th as fast as I'd like. Will our shift nobs screw onto this STS?

  12. #11
    Sciko Thread Jacker Chapter: DFW Barfalamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    i'm pretty sure it's the same thread pattern. it's a double bonus, shorter knob and a shorter throw, so not as tall and a shorter distance to put it in gear

  13. #12
    Scikotics Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    int he OP you said available soon, they seem to be available now, at least it lets you add it to cart and checkout.

    Is it worth getting the added bushings?

  14. #13
    Sciko Thread Jacker Chapter: DFW Barfalamu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plano
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Well i got the email the day before i posted this, then i went back and edited it with the link to buy it. With base bushings it will just make the gear location more defined, so you're not guessing if you're close to a gear and end up in another. The cable bushings just help make the over all shift smoother and easier. They use a self lubricating metal so you don't have to add grease when you install it. If you want to drop another 40-60 for bushings, go for it, but I personally am going to hold off. I'm more interested in their weighted shift knobs, but will most likely end up making my own.

  15. #14
    Scikotics Forum Whore ThisorThatxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: TWM short shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by lexxerd View Post
    int he OP you said available soon, they seem to be available now, at least it lets you add it to cart and checkout.

    Is it worth getting the added bushings?
    i have NST bushings on both the cable and the shifter. makes the shifts more defined. less numb squishy shifting. you really feel it go into each gear. the oem bushings are rubber, so changing to stainless gives it that added rigidity. a weighted knob would help too. mine does a good job of helping me row through the gears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •