Scikotics Friend

Default Interior LED issue, won't turn on

So, my interior LED's and neons, which the LED's were installed by the dealership, won't work anymore. The power goes through the cigarette lighter, and I've checked to make sure power is going through that. I've checked all of the connections, and can't find anything wrong. Is there any chance that the switch is broken?

Anyone else have issue with their dealer installed lights failing?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Scikotics Friend

Default Re: Interior LED issue, won't turn on

For anyone that reads this post and has the same issue, I found it. Blown fuse. Increased the fuse size a tiny bit, and it is all good now.

HMFIC Chapter:Eastern Wisconsin LEFTYS08XB's Avatar

Becarefull on increasing fuse sizes. Fuses only go out when there's a problem somewhere in between. By increasing sizes, makes the problem worse. Most car fires start that way. You must check your wires real good or return to the dealer and tell them it's blowing fuses.
    Eastern Wisconsin Chapter

Scikotics Friend

I increased it by 1 amp, and I'm running my neons through the same wire, so I figured that it had to do with the extra draw on the wire, they had undersized the fuse, it seemed.

HMFIC Chapter:Eastern Wisconsin LEFTYS08XB's Avatar

Ok. That will explain it. I didn't know that you tap'd into the LEDs for your neons.
    Eastern Wisconsin Chapter

Scikotics Friend

Yeah, I'm going to do a whole new re-wiring of my interior lights, add a few, and put in heated seats. Should be a nice long fix. Adding an intensity adjustment knob for the lighting too.

Scikotics Hooker Chapter: Indy diknaBox's Avatar

Be careful putting in a bigger amp fuse. I had this issue and had a spare 20amp fuse that i put in... turned it on and it fried my wires and my car started smoking from burning wires!!

imo always run a seperate fuse box for all leds and lighting. I have mine hid under the dash and have interior on one fuse, engine bay on another, and underglow on another.

And btw scrap the dealer lights and put in leds from Oznium.com

Scikotics Friend

The fuse I'm talking about is an additional one that is in the center console on the wires just after leaving the cig lighter, and I upped it only from 5 to 8, I believe. When I add new stuff, I'm actually going to remove my cig lighter completely, and re-do all the wiring, with a main fuse in the power line coming into the cig lighter, then a separate fuse in each of the wires after I split them to the different things I want to do, such as: dash/seat-belt lights, under seat lights, under dash lights, rear seating area lights, heated seats(with extra fuses and built in timer+ separate on/off switch, and I will probably put the lighting that is above the feet all through a "volume" knob so I can adjust brightness, might also through in a toggle switch, because I plan on having some red lights, and some blue lights, so have a toggle right after the brightness knob. Once I actually have a day, and all the LED's I want, I will post up a DIY, and a wiring schematic. But it's a huge day+ project with at least front seats removed plus interior trim pieces.

And I like the dealer lights because of the translucent bar, kind of diffuses the light nicely, but I may upgrade the LED's, or add more LED's to the "bars".

I would but thats my opinion. I like te lighting with leds lot better than dealer lights but its ur ride so do what makes u happy obviously.

My question is why run off the power to ciggarette lighter? I always run a power wire from the battery thru the firewall to a fusebox that i installed under the dash. With as many things as u are wanting to do, i highly suggest trying this. You can run a seperate fuse to each "section" u are wanting to do. Buy a fuse box and install it and run wires to lights from here! Ive done mine and 4 other members rides this way without any issues. Hope this helps!

Scikotics Friend

I would, but I want these accessories not to be on when the car isn't on. Though I may switch the LED's to straight battery. Is there a way to pull current/power from the battery, but make it so the power is "switched on" when the ACC is on?

The way i do it is power wire from battery to fuse box. Run line from fuse box to lights and then to a switch, i have rocker switches i put in the console by shifter. You will find a place to ground the wire, i did mine by shifter.

This will allow u to turn them on whenever u want! You dont have to have the car on at all! Hope this helps.

Scikotics Friend

I'm just trying to make it so I can't accidentally leave everything on, turn my car off, and come back to a dead battery, that always sucks.

Oh ok i see what ur going for. Just keep in mind if u show ur car ud have to leave it on to show ur lights off that way.

Scikotics Friend

This is true, though I could wire a second power switch in straight from the battery.... Hmmmmm. I have ideas now. Lol.